How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I signed a 1 year agreement with Two of Us Dating Service,

Resolved Question:

I signed a 1 year agreement with Two of Us Dating Service, Bridgewater, NJ. For a fee of $4K, this 'exclusive & professional' agency was suppose to give me 10 dating referrals between 11/08 and 11/09. They gave me only 1 referral. I filed a civil suit against the agency and heard back from their attorney that they declared bankrupcy in 5/09. I'm disheartened and consider myself a victim of a scam. All I want is my money back, no more, no less. Can someone offer legal advice?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 7 years ago.


I am the JustAnswer expert that will be helping you today. I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. Although I am not your attorney, I hope that I can give you helpful legal information.

The automatic stay of the bankruptcy court prohibits any action against the debtor outside of the bankruptcy court. Once a bankruptcy has been filed all collection action must cease.

That said you may file a proof of claim in the bankruptcy case in order to share in any distributions made. Here is the form:

Good luck.
Ellen and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you