Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy Law Questions? Ask a Bankruptcy Lawyer.

Bankruptcy Law

I am a creditor in a bankruptcy case. The debtor has filed

Customer Question
I am a creditor in...
I am a creditor in a bankruptcy case. The debtor has filed it as a no assets case. I live in NJ and previously recieved as default judgement as of april 12 and the bankruptcy was filed june15.
Just got off the phone with the bankruptcy court in LI about this case and they have told me that they have found assets and the bankruptcy is now in dispute.

I have a default judgement from the Superior Court of NJ . His assets however are in NY.
Do I have to domesticate the judgement , or becasue it is now a federal case , is my judgement good and will I be entitlted to recieieving money based on that.
the only other judgement is from chse bank for $230,000 and they are listed as a "codebtor"
How will the finding of assets play out for me ?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Bankruptcy Law
8/3/2010
Bankruptcy Lawyer: Ellen, Attorney replied 7 years ago
Ellen, Attorney

I am the JustAnswer expert that will be helping you today. I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. Although I am not your attorney, I hope that I can give you helpful legal information.

It does not appear necessary to domesticate the judgment. However you will need to file a proof of claim in the bankruptcy case in order to share in the distribution. Here is the form:
http://www.uscourts.gov/uscourts/RulesAndPolicies/rules/BK_Forms_Official_2010/B_010_0410.pdf

Good luck.
Ellen, Attorney
Ellen, Attorney