How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a joint mortgage with someone that I am unmarried to

Resolved Question:

I have a joint mortgage with someone that I am unmarried to and he doesn't live in the home anymore. He wants to be off the mortgage; however, I want to remain in the home and the home has negative equity so refinancing isn't an option. What are the options for getting him off the mortgage? We know that Ch 7 bankruptcy would be an option for him, but would only want to do that as a last resort. Are there any other options?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.

I am the JustAnswer expert that will be helping you today. I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. Although I am not your attorney, I hope that I can give you helpful legal information.

The only way the person can be relieved from liability under the mortgage, is with the consent of the mortgage holder, bankruptcy or by paying off the mortgage. Therefore if you are unable to refinance the mortgage, it appears that the person will remain liable on the mortgage unless he files a bankruptcy
Ellen and 2 other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you