How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 31770
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, when i was 17 i went to the hospital and since i was underage

This answer was rated:

Hi, when i was 17 i went to the hospital and since i was underage my dad had to sign and take responsibility for everything, when the bill was not paid, the collection agency started calling my dad and so on. Well it never got paid and now that i am of age the bill has carried over to me. Is this possible?

No, you're not financially responsible for the debt because it was incurred when you were a minor.


You can voluntarily agree to pay it, but they can't sue you for it because of your age at the time the debt was incurred.


If the treatment came from a state, city, county or other government owned hospital, there is no statute of limitations, so the debt can hang around forever.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So in this case what can i do? the bill seems to affect my credit a lot

You can write them a letter denying that you're responsible for the debt and also demand that they cease contacting you about this uncollectible debt under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.



Roger and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you