How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband an I filed for bankruptcy in December. They asked

Resolved Question:

My husband an I filed for bankruptcy in December. They asked us when we went to court if we wanted to reaffirm our house and car and we told them yes. They never contacted us to reaffirm our house and noe the bankruptcy has been discharged. Is there any way we can keep our house since it has been discharged?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 7 years ago.

I am the JustAnswer expert that will be helping you today. I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. Although I am not your attorney, I hope that I can give you helpful legal information.

A reaffirmation agreement is a promise to pay a debt that would otherwise be discharged in a bankruptcy. However this does not mean that you must surrender your house because you did not reaffirm. It simply means that you do not have personal liability on the loan.Provided you continue to make your payments according to the terms of your mortgage, you will be entitled to keep your home
Ellen and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you