How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 38877
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i have a judgement in teh state of ND againsta comapny and

Resolved Question:

i have a judgement in teh state of ND againsta comapny and I woudl like to replevin a patent they hold, is this possible
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 6 years ago.

You can't replevin an intangible, because there's nothing for the sheriff to seize.


Tell me what your judgment awards, and I'll try to come up with some ideas?



NOTICE: If you are on a subscription plan, your clicking Accept does not generate any additional charges to your user account. It only indicates your satisfaction with my answer.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

Edited by socrateaser on 8/1/2010 at 5:03 PM EST
socrateaser and 4 other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I have loan note that the company is refusing to repay. I have received a judgement from a court in the State of ND ordering repayment. The company continues to ignore it. This company is effectively insolvent.

It has 2 assets. Some patents and a wholly owned subsidiary that owns equipment. The equipment is not operating and is located in a building in ND.

I understand that in some states, it is possible to file with the patent office the fact that there is a judgement and force a sale.

My objective is to force a sale of the assets, either by getting some sort of lien or order on the assets, and/or take possession of the subsidiary so that we can put those assets up for sale.

Any advise on how I can proceed is much appreciated.

Thank you