Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy law questions? Ask a bankruptcy lawyer.

Have to file a chapter 7 bankruptcy, What about parrots as…

Customer Question
Have to file a chapter...
Have to file a chapter 7 bankruptcy, What about parrots as pets...no breeding...no breeding involuled. Also have 4 vehicles Chev p/u 2009, Chev p/u 89, Ford p/up 85, Dodge 74 sedan. Need three vehicles for work dependence as my wife and myself work approx. 50 miles away at independently locations. Seperate jobs
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Bankruptcy Law
7/24/2010
Bankruptcy Lawyer: Ellen, Attorney replied 7 years ago
Ellen, Attorney

I am the JustAnswer expert that will be helping you today. I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. Although I am not your attorney, I hope that I can give you helpful legal information.

In a chapter 7 bankruptcy a debtor is required to value all property at market value. This means the value that a third-party would be willing to pay for the property. It does not mean the value to the debtor personally. Therefore although no exemption exists for your pet parrots, provided those parents do not have a value on the open market it is unlikely that the trustee will claim an interest in them for the benefit of creditors

Colorado law permits a $3000 vehicle exemption per debtor for a vehicle that is used for work. There would be no exemption for 3rd vehicle.

Here are the exemptions for Colorado:
http://www.bankruptcyinformation.com/Co_exemp.htm

Good luck