How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 31737
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Before I married I owned that ownwed a house I still have.

Resolved Question:

Before I married I owned that ownwed a house I still have. The home is in my name only as are all my personal assets. My husband has gotten into debt ( at least $25,000) with credit cards that are in his name only. We have no joint credit cards, and only one joint checking account we pay house hold bills.
I am 100% disabled and want to know if any of my assets can be used to pay his debts. What if any are my responsibilities for his debts. He now wants me to give him money so he can hire a lawyer and I would be left without any money at all.
Thank you for your help ,
Maryann Perkins
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Roger replied 7 years ago.

Connecticut is not a community property state, which means that you are not financially responsible for the debts of your spouse because of the marriage.


If you hold joint accounts, you are obviously liable. However, if you aren't on the account, you nor your personal/separate property is subject to his creditors.

Roger and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Bankruptcy Law Questions