How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask cfortunato Your Own Question
cfortunato, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 8023
Experience:  Bankruptcy professor.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
cfortunato is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Do the court or trustee look a past tax records for CH7 Do

This answer was rated:

Do the court or trustee look a past tax records for CH7? Do you have to provide?
When you referred to past tax records, are you inquiring about past tax returns?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, the 1040 and schedule "C" forms
For a Chapter 7, the debtor has to provide the entire federal tax return - including all schedules - for the last 2 years that tax returns had to be filed. If tax returns were not filed - and did not have to be filed - for an extended period (eg. 10 years), the debtor does not have to submit any.
When submitting tax returns, it is okay to submit the transcripts instead - if the actual returns are not available. One can get their transcripts from the IRS.

Edited by Christina Fortunato, Esq. on 7/5/2010 at 8:22 PM EST
cfortunato and 2 other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you