How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask cfortunato Your Own Question
cfortunato, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 8023
Experience:  Bankruptcy professor.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
cfortunato is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Does Legal Aid help with Bankruptcy cases or is there some

Customer Question

Does Legal Aid help with Bankruptcy cases or is there some type of a pool, group, or individual attorney in the Jacksonville, Orange Park, FL area that charges about $500 plus cost of classes and filing fees? Also, I have read on Internet "paralegal" sites that you can appeal to the court to waive the $300 filing fee for the court. Do you have any information or can you point me in the right direction?

Best Regards,
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  cfortunato replied 7 years ago.
Hi JACustomer,
How many are in your household?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My husband, laid off in 12/09, but taking side jobs as available, myself, unemployed since 12/07 while I was on medical therapy for chronic but managemable diseasee, and my yongest, 20, comes home fom college during breaks and summer. No one recives uinemployment in our household. I worked for a non-profit which is exempt from unemployment insurance. My husband's boss is giving him some side work as long as there are not any unemployment claims.
Expert:  cfortunato replied 7 years ago.
If the total gross weekly household income is less than $528.17, you can get a waiver of the Bankruptcy filing fee, so you won't have to pay the $299.
Additionally, getting the Bankruptcy filing fee waived also allows you to get the fee waived for the both credit classes that must be taken (one before and one after filing).
Some Legal Aid organizations provide pro bono Bankruptcy assistance, and some do not. Also, some state and local bar associations have member attorneys who will process Bankruptcies pro bono.
If you cannot find either, you can ask both (Legal Aid and the bar associations) if they can recommend someone who will take the case "low bono", which is when an attorney takes a case and charges a minimal amount.
If none of these attempts is satisfactory, the final recommendation is to hire a paralegal to fill out the paperwork for you. These are called "Bankruptcy Preparers", and they usually charge around $200 - $400 to provide this service.