Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy Law Questions? Ask a Bankruptcy Lawyer.

Bankruptcy Law

I filed for bankruptcy a month before I was told, I would need

Customer Question
my foot amputated due to...
I filed for bankruptcy a month before I was told, I would need my foot amputated due to Gangrene. It had to be done immediately so that it didn't spread through the bone which would be life threatening. While in surgery, I contracted MRSA, a very potent and anti-biotic resistant staff infection. In fact the operating room is one of only a few places where you can catch it. This led to a total of three visits to the operating room. Six weeks in the hospital and months of convalescing. During my hospitalization, XXXXX  the holder of the second mortgage fast tracked the paperwork through the Court to remove my house from the protection of the Bankruptcy Court. Instead of granting an extension due to my illness. Art Tirman and his lawyer had my house removed from the protection of the Bankruptcy Court. Can it successfully be brought back under the bankruptcy court's protection even thought the lender of the second has foreclosed and bought the house for $10,000. It has been about 5 weeks since I lost protection and I am still in the convalescing home.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Bankruptcy Law
7/3/2010
Bankruptcy Lawyer: socrateaser, Attorney replied 7 years ago
socrateaser, Attorney

If you can show that you did not have notice of the creditor's actions, or that your physicial condition was such that you could not have possibly taken any action to object to the motion for relief from stay, then it is possible that the bankruptcy court could set aside its original order lifting the stay, and void the foreclosure.

However, you would also have to show that lift of stay was not inevitable, because you could have paid off the 2nd lien before foreclosure.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: If you are on a subscription plan, your clicking Accept does not generate any additional charges to your user account. It only indicates your satisfaction with my answer.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

socrateaser, Attorney
socrateaser, Attorney