Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
9968427

My husband and I are are filing for bankruptcy in 6-7 months.

My husband and I are are filing for bankruptcy in 6-7 months. I have a question about non employment sources of income. I live in WI. If a family member would give a gift of money through a money order, would this be traceable at all by the bankruptcy court if it were cashed and not deposited into our bank account?

I am the JustAnswer expert that will be helping you today. I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. Although I am not your attorney, I hope that I can give you helpful legal information.

Of gift of money is not considered income. Instead it is considered a gift. However, that said, a gift of money to you via money order would not usually be traceable
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So only deposits to our checking account would be traceable? If I would cash this money order at our bank that we have our account at, it still would not be traceble?
it could be traceable if you cash the money order at your bank
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
And that is the only way it could possibly be traced, correct?
To the best of my knowledge, that is the only way it could be traced