How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask cfortunato Your Own Question
cfortunato, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 8023
Experience:  Bankruptcy professor.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
cfortunato is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello my name is canan I am 35 years old,Ive been working

Resolved Question:

Hello my name is canan I am 35 years old,I've been working in this counrty for 14 years now.I am married with two kids and my husband owns a hair salon.My husband makes good money but I don't make very good at all.I do have almost $40.000 dolar credit cards debts.What ever I do I can't make them go down.I amnot shopcolic or anything.This amounts was build up due to medical ,sister passing away taking her remaings to overseas and airplane tickets and thing came up at last minute stuff.I am really tired of trying pay them off ,I even got loan from my country given my mothers house as a equity.They are telling me now even with my husband I am qualifed to file for bankruptcy.Without effecting my husband income and his record how can I file for bankruptcy ?And how would I do that ? Can you help me on this issue please.Thank you.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  cfortunato replied 7 years ago.
Hi JACustomer,
What state are you in?
Are these debts in your name only?

Edited by Christina Fortunato, Esq. on 7/2/2010 at 2:39 AM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.


I live in Maryland at Montgomery County,yes this debts are in my name only.We don't have no joint account with my husband.Thank you.Canan

Expert:  cfortunato replied 7 years ago.
You can file a Bankruptcy without affecting your husband, since the debts are in your name only. Although it is possible to file a Bankruptcy without an attorney, it is very difficult to do, and is not recommended.
The best thing to do is to call the Maryland Bar Association and ask for a recommendation for a Bankruptcy attorney. The number is 800-492-1964. Most will give a free consulation. Don't be afraid to "shop around" for the best price, as there is a large variance in what Bankruptcy attorneys charge ($800 - $3000 for the same service).

Edited by Christina Fortunato, Esq. on 7/6/2010 at 1:18 AM EST
cfortunato and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you