How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi. You just answered my banktruptcy law question for my parents.

This answer was rated:

Hi. You just answered my banktruptcy law question for my parents. You mentioned that my parents are "judgement proof" since their funds are spending down and they will be on Medicaid shortly. Given the legal exposure they have now with their underground oil tank, would hiring a bankruptcy lawyer and filing a petition help with those potential lawsuits as well as the pending creditor lawsuits? This will also eliminate our headache of sending out judgement proof letters?

Thank you for your new question.

You are not required to send a judgment proof letters. You are not required to take any action. Your parents are in an assisted living facility and have no assets. A lawsuit against your parents would not need to be defended since they have no assets that can be collected against. However your parents may file a chapter 7 bankruptcy and have their liability discharged. This will require that they attend a court hearing

Ellen and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you