Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy law questions? Ask a bankruptcy lawyer.

I recently wrote to clear up th issue of my membership. I…

Customer Question
I recently wrote to clear...
I recently wrote to clear up th issue of my membership.

I still do not know whether my original membership request was properly entered.

Who can tell me?
_______________________

My current question is as follows:

Once a bankruptcy has been filed in the Courts, is it possible to have it withdrawn or dismissed?

If it is dismissed by the Court, can the credit record be immediately restored since the bankruptcy did not go thru to completion?

Or is it the mere act of filing that destroys the credit?

Can the Court order the restoration of credit due to error in the bankruptcy filing? Is this ever done?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Bankruptcy Law
6/28/2010
Bankruptcy Lawyer: Terry L., Attorney replied 8 years ago
Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
The fact that the case was filed will stay on the report for the next 10 years, impacting credit accordingly, regardless if the case was discharged or if it was dismissed. The court will not order restoration, since the case was filed voluntarily. Thank you for your question, good luck.

Does it matter that the attorney representing did a horrible job of counseling the client that the process and th impact was not undestood prior to filing? Also the attorney failed to submit required documents required by the court?

The only filing was the ogiginal request for BK.

Although we provided hundreds of pages as requested by the attorney about the situation, creditors, and finances, the attorney did not prepare and file anything with the court. Isthee any hope for me getting the court to intevene? My attoney screwed up. There should be some way to reverse the damage she did.

Unfortunately that will not matter with the case at hand. If there was malpractice, you can pursue a claim against the attorney. IF dismissed, it usually will be without prejudice, meaning you can file again, correctly. But the fact of the original case filing will still remain. The impact will be minimal if you file again, correctly, and use an experienced bankruptcy attorney this time. Perhaps you should request a refund from the first lawyer. Sorry you had so much trouble with the first case/attorney, I can imagine it was quite frustrating. Good luck, try the better business bureau for a referral.