Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy law questions? Ask a bankruptcy lawyer.

I am claiming bankruptcy, and I owe an amount to my spouse…

Customer Question
I am claiming bankruptcy, and...
I am claiming bankruptcy, and I owe an amount to my spouse in the decree...its not spousal or child, its just money owed to her in the settlement. Is it dischargeable in Chap 7?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Bankruptcy Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/25/2010
Bankruptcy Lawyer: Texas Atty, Attorney replied 8 years ago
Texas Atty
Texas Atty, Attorney
Yes. With few exceptions all debts, other than student loans or those to the government and spousal or child support are dischargable in bankruptcy.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Please remember that we can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.
ok ty, I was reading online and it said any domestic obligation is not discharable...so that means?
A domestic obligation means spousal or child support typically.

Also, many customers don't realize that until you hit ACCEPT we don't get credit for our work so when you are satisfied with my answer please hit the ACCEPT button. Feel free to ask any follow ups necessary to ensure that you understand the answer completely.

What about property settlement?
Nope, that is not a domestic obligation under that term.

Sorry, I made a mistake. The law changed a few years ago and property settlements are no longer dischargable in bankruptcy proceedings. I apologize for the inconvenience.