Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy law questions? Ask a bankruptcy lawyer.

My husband and I filed Chapter 7 bankruptcy--Jan 2010--- the…

Customer Question
My husband and I filed...
My husband and I filed Chapter 7 bankruptcy--Jan 2010--- the previous year we filed Chapter 13oct 2008 to keep our house from forclosure---but My husband got laid 3/2009 from his job of 17 yrs--We fell back on the payments so our lawyer talked us into a Chapter 7 --he filed it with asking the Banks lawyer if after the being granted the chapter we would like to be reinstated and still keep the hous--but according to our lawyer--the banks lawyer never responded so he told us to lose the house.. The chapter 7 was granted in march2010 and by some small miracle my husband regained full-time emplyment again----this made no difference to my lawyer and he told us to live in the house with making no payments and wait for the forclosure---Well now it is June and we have finally heard from the bank and they seem to want to work with us and also the Housing Council in Rochester Ny--My question is now that I have been trough two Bankruptsies with this lawyer do I have to proceed with him any further--He is very negative towards us--when are we through with him--My house could go into forclosure--aug 22--2010--I would like to get advice from another lawyer and we have an appt with the Housing Council of rochester--They said they thought they could help us--We really want to keep our our house Can I get rid of this Lawyer????Thank-you
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Bankruptcy Law
6/23/2010
Bankruptcy Lawyer: TJ, Esq., Attorney replied 8 years ago
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney

Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

You can absolutely get rid of your attorney. You could have fired him whenever you’d like … even in the middle of your bankruptcies. But now that the bankruptcies are over, you don’t even need to technically fire him … you simply retain a new lawyer if you’d like one, or you can go it alone without a lawyer (please note: I recommend hiring a new lawyer). You don’t even need to tell your old lawyer unless the new lawyer needs your file for some reason.

Have I satisfactorily addressed your concerns? If not, then please feel free to ask for clarification.

If the information that I provided is helpful, then please remember to click the green accept button so that I will receive credit and compensation for my time. Positive feedback is always appreciated as well. Thank you and good luck!

DISCLAIMER: Please be aware that only an attorney licensed in your state is authorized to advise you in legal matters, and that the limitations of this setting may prevent your legal issues from being thoroughly addressed. Accordingly, please understand that (1) by answering your question(s) I am not acting as your attorney, (2) my answer(s) should be construed as general information only, and (3) our discussion is not an adequate substitute for an in-person consultation with an attorney.