socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired
10097515

I need a lawyer...an expert in personal bankruptcy in Chapter

Customer Question

I need a lawyer...an expert in personal bankruptcy in Chapter 7. I have a signed bill of sale for a time share I sold in 09'. Do I need an actual transfer of title for it to be recognized as the other persons property and not mine ..before the trustee hearing?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 8 years ago.

In order for the timeshare to be the property of some other person and beyond the reach of the bankruptcy trustee, title woud have to have been recorded with the appropriate government agency at least 90 days before you filed your bankrupty petition. Bankr. Code § 547.

Otherwise, the bankruptcy trustee could potentially avoid the transfer. Though, as a practical matter, since timeshares are effectively unmarketable, the trustee probably won't care one way or the other, because there's no money in the timeshare that could benefit your unsecured creditors.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: If you are on a subscription plan, your clicking Accept does not generate any additional charges to your user account. It only indicates your satisfaction with my answer.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you very much...
You bet. Best of luck.