Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy law questions? Ask a bankruptcy lawyer.

hi my name is gerry, how are you , we own a house we rent…

Customer Question
hi my name is XXXXX...
hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX are you , we own a house we rent the person that we rented to owes us 5000 in back rent plus damages of 5000 to the property ,we sued, she claimed bankruptcy , now we are out 10,000 owed to us. is there anyway we can do anything within the law that will make her see the error of her ways and pay us, we would settle for just half of the amount i would hassle her until she pays can i sue her parents there must be something i can do, something,any thing, times are tough we could use the money
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Bankruptcy Law
6/16/2010
Bankruptcy Lawyer: Terry L., Attorney replied 8 years ago
Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Hi and thank you for your question.
Unfortunately, you cannot collect for any past due amounts after she filed the bankruptcy case. if she is still in the home, you can file an eviction so you can get her tenant out.
Unless there was another signer on the lease, I hate to say it, you are out of luck.
Best of luck with future tenants. Next time, try to get a cosigner or else move to evict sooner. Thanks and good luck.