Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy Law Questions? Ask a Bankruptcy Lawyer.

Bankruptcy Law

I have just be terminated by my employer and when initially

Customer Question
hired (12/08) had negotiated a...
I have just be terminated by my employer and when initially hired (12/08) had negotiated a 6 month severance and a fixed minimum bonus for my first year. The employer filed bankruptcy (Chapter 11) in Nov 2009. They offered a severance but not at the negotiated level. Does their entry into Chapter 11 allow them to void the original severance and bonus commitments? The court has approved (5/2010) their plan for exiting bankruptcy. What are my rights for the negotiated severance and bonus?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Bankruptcy Law
6/8/2010
Bankruptcy Lawyer: socrateaser, Attorney replied 7 years ago
socrateaser, Attorney

Under Bankr. Code § 507(a)(4), an employee is entitled to a priority claim of up to $11,725 of unpaid wages (including salaries and commissions, vacation, severance, and sick leave pay), if earned within 180 days of the employer's filing of the bankruptcy petition.

I'd like to say that the issue had some wiggle room -- but it doesn't. The law is crystal clear.

NOTICE: If you are on a subscription plan, your clicking Accept does not generate any additional charges to your user account. It only indicates your satisfaction with my answer.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

socrateaser, Attorney
socrateaser, Attorney