Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy Law Questions? Ask a Bankruptcy Lawyer.

Bankruptcy Law

My question is just how much and what kind of info is available

to "the public" regarding bankruptcy...
My question is just how much and what kind of info is available to "the public" regarding bankruptcy filings. If a personal bankruptcy is filed, what can another "person or party" find out by calling the local bankruptcy court?
6/6/2010
Ellen, Attorney

I am the JustAnswer expert that will be helping you today. I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. Although I am not your attorney, I hope that I can give you helpful legal information.

Unfortunately the entire bankruptcy petition including all filings are public information. By simply calling the court, the general public can obtain the date the debtor filed bankruptcy, the chapter bankruptcy filed, hearing dates and whether assets available for distribution to creditors.
Ellen, Attorney
Ellen, Attorney