Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy Law Questions? Ask a Bankruptcy Lawyer.

Bankruptcy Law

I have a bankruptcy question about a 2nd morgage. I had a

forclosure almost a year ago...
I have a bankruptcy question about a 2nd morgage. I had a forclosure almost a year ago. I no longer have the the house.The company that did my foreclosure had given me the impresion the 2nd would be included. Come to find out i guess in the state of colorado its not included. My question is what do i have to do to save what assets i have (example) 401k, stock, bank accounts,the morgage i am sharing with another person, 2nd vehical wich are paid off and are more then ten years old, ect.,before I decide to file. I would like to know asap before they garnish my check. I am not married and I am a single mom with two kids.
6/5/2010
cfortunato
cfortunato, Attorney
Hi JACustomer,
1) Has the lender or collection agency already gone to court?
2) Is there already a judgment in place?

No we have not gone to court. No there is no judgement.

The lender or collection agency cannot do anything until it goes to court and then gets a judgment. This can easily take months from the time the company actually files the court papers. So, the short answer is that you can in all probability file a bankruptcy petition well in advance of this.
As a matter of fact, filing the petition will prevent the company from getting a judgment, and should result in a dismissal of any case that is started.
However, if the company did get a judgment before you filed a bankruptcy petition, they would not be able to touch your exempt assets, such as pension plans (including a 401k), $60,000 equity in the home, and $5,000 worth of motor vehicles.
However, there is no exemption for bank accounts, stock, or wages.
cfortunato
cfortunato, Attorney
cfortunato
cfortunato
cfortunato, Attorney