Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
9968427

I am in the middle of filing Ch 7. My 341 meeting is on 6/22.

I am in the middle of filing Ch 7. My 341 meeting is on 6/22. I have been offered a job that pays 10k more than what I was making previously, but I have been unemployed for 3 weeks. My lawyer says that I cannot take this job because the trustee will convert my case to ch. 13 or throw it out. Is this true? This does not seem fair that I have to turn down a good job to keep my case.

I am the JustAnswer expert that will be helping you today. I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. Although I am not your attorney, I hope that I can give you helpful legal information.

The needs test to qualify for chapter 7 bankruptcy is determined as of the date of filing the bankruptcy petition. That said, it is typically "safer" to begin employment after the 341 hearing as the trustee may question the needs test in more detail
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Can I accept the offer prior to the 341 meeting? Can I get in trouble for asking the employer to delay my offer/start date until after the 341 meeting? Can I get in trouble for asking them to pay me only my previous salary and no more?

Thank you
Can I accept the offer prior to the 341 meeting?
Yes. And you can still truthfully testify at the time of the 341 that you are not currently employed if you have not commenced work

Can I get in trouble for asking the employer to delay my offer/start date until after the 341 meeting?
no

Can I get in trouble for asking them to pay me only my previous salary and no more? no