Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I just found out that I could have included a debt that a divorce

I just found out that I could have included a debt that a divorce judge gave me to pay back my ex the difference in equity. Is that true? Also would the attorny that handled my banksuptcy case be liable for not including it? He knew I was paying her.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Roger replied 7 years ago.

If this agreement to pay your ex was considered a part of her alimony, it cannot be discharged in bankruptcy, and therefore, your attorney didn't do anything wrong.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The money was not considered allimoney but a payment for the difference in equity.
Expert:  Roger replied 7 years ago.
If the money is not considered alimony, it can be discharged, and if the attorney didn't include it, it could be malpractice.