socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)
10097515

My ex-wife and I share a property in Danville, CA, which is

Foreclosure question: My ex-wife and I share a property in Danville, CA, which is upside down. She gave me notice wishing to foreclose, and notice of her personal bankruptcy, back in December 2009. I do not reside in the home (she does); neither of us are interested in refinancing or keeping the home. We stopped paying the mortgage (1st/2nd) on 3/1/10, and are now three months into what will become a forclosure. I have the income to refinance and keep the property, though I am not interested in doing so. What traps along the way can I expect? Do I need a lawyer? Do I need to file for bankruptcy as well? How much information should I give the bank? She is interested in staying in the home (payment free) as long as possible and doesn't care about the foreclosure hit on her credit record. Your thoughts on short-sale, and/or deed-in-lieu-of-forclosure?

What traps along the way can I expect?

A: If both loans were used to purchase the property, i.e., paid to the seller in escrow, then there are no traps, because you can simply walk away, and neither lender can touch you. If you refinance the 2nd at some time and the 1st is foreclosed, then the 2nd lienholder can sue you for a deficiency and attempt to collect by garnishing your wages, seizing other assets, etc. If the aggregate value of the loans is greater than $1,000,000 , then you will owe federal income tax on that additonal amount ($400,000 for Cal. State income tax).

Do I need a lawyer?

A: Bankruptcy attorney, maybe.

Do I need to file for bankruptcy as well?

A: If you refied a loan, then yes.

How much information should I give the bank?

A: None, unless they're offering you an unconditional release from further liability.

Your thoughts on short-sale, and/or deed-in-lieu-of-forclosure?

A: It's great for the real estate broker, because the bank pays the commission. However, without a liability release on the loans, a short sale or deed-in-lieu will create a deficiency on all of the loans against the property -- a sucker play for most seller, because they never get the release, and later find out they've been screeeeewed (pardon my French).

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.