How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 31769
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My home is in foreclosure. Can I file personal bankruptcy to

This answer was rated:

My home is in foreclosure. Can I file personal bankruptcy to stop foreclosure with a previous bankruptcy that was discharged jan.2005?

Filing bankruptcy will not stop the foreclosure, but it will delay it by a month or two. If you file bankruptcy, the creditor will have to file a motion to lift the automatic stay, which is put in place when a person files bankruptcy to protect them from creditors.


The court will grant the lender's motion and allow the foreclosure to proceed.


If you still wanted to file, the following time lines would apply:


8 years between 7s. -727(a)(8)

2 years between 13s. -1328(f)(2)

4 years between a 7 and 13 -1328(f)(1)

6 years between a 13 and 7(if under 70% plan). -727(a)(9)

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My discharge papers state "granted under section 727 of title 11, how many yrs between filing is that?
That's a Chapter 7, so you'd have to wait 8 years before filing another.
Roger and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you