Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy Law Questions? Ask a Bankruptcy Lawyer.

Bankruptcy Law

I know that child support is not dismissible in a bankruptcy.

Customer Question
But my question is about...
I know that child support is not dismissible in a bankruptcy. But my question is about the tuition and school fees owed to me by my ex-husband. Are they dismissible? I have a copy of his bankruptcy papers and my name does not appear on the papers as one of his creditors. Given that my name does not appear, I became comfortable in believing that he has no intention of trying to dismiss the money that he owes me. Should I be comfortable? Does my name have to appear on his creditor disclosure statement in order for him to dismiss his debt with me? Could he dismiss the amount that he owes me by some other language that I might perhaps be missing?

I am still trying to pay three different attorneys from the divorce (which I was financially screwed in) and I have no money to retain another attorney.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Bankruptcy Law
5/2/2010
Bankruptcy Lawyer: Ellen, Attorney replied 7 years ago
Ellen, Attorney

Your former husband will remain liable for the money owed to you regardless of the bankruptcy.

Section 523 of the Bankruptcy Code excepts from discharge both property settlements and support obligations.

You can read the Code here:
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode11/usc_sec_11_00000523----000-.html

I hope that the information which I provided was helpful to you.

Best wishes for a successful outcome. If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to submit them to me directly.

Thank you,
FLAandNYLAWYER
Ellen, Attorney
Ellen, Attorney