How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Terry L. Your Own Question
Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 2900
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Terry L. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can a mortgage company get a judgment against for the discrepancy

This answer was rated:

Can a mortgage company get a judgment against for the discrepancy between what I owe and what the home is now worth, if I filed a Chapter 7 bankruptcy and included my home?
Hi and thank you for your question. Once you file chapter 7, and if you do not reaffirm the debt, the debt is discharged in the case. You are the owner of the property until you sell, or the lender forecloses, since the lien survives bankruptcy. However, they cannot come after you for any deficiency balance after the foreclosure since the debt was discharged with the bankruptcy case.

The lender can file a motion to modify the automatic stay, but this just lets them start the foreclosure process. They cannot go after you for any money. Thanks for your question, good luck.
Terry L. and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you