How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 39130
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have filed bankruptcy and have an upcoming 341 hearing.

Customer Question

I have filed bankruptcy and have an upcoming 341 hearing. I have incorrectly listed a creditor and I need to remove them from my matrix. How do I do this properly and also serve them notice that they have been removed from my creditor list? Also how do I notify the appropriate creditor in a timely manner? I am very nervous about the hearing. There are a few creditors in particular that I am afraid will badger me or ask uncomfortable questions that I will be under oath to answer. How do I handle this as well? Thanks
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.

A debtor is entitled to amend a petition at any time, as long as it is not done in bad faith. The debtor must provide notice of the amendment to the trustee and any affected party, which is probably every creditor.


You can probably file a pleading page stating a notice of the schedule(s) being modified, attach the modified schedule(s) and then serve copies on the affected parties and the trustee. You may want to review the bankruptcy court local rules to determine whether or not there are any specific local requirements (because every district court has different rules for different circumstances).


Re the 341 hearing, most of the time, it takes about 10 minutes. You just sit there and answer the questions a best you can, unless you don't know the answer, in which case you say you don't know. And if you think you could be subject to some criminal liability, then you should hire a lawyer, because you need to review those types of concerns in a confidential setting.


Seriously, though, most of the time no creditors show up -- so, unless you have someone with a personal vendetta, you're likely to be there with other creditors and the trustee, and no one else (except for creditors of other debtors).


Hope this helps.


Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

So do I simply ammend the creditor matrix and resubmit it paying the $26 fee to the bankruptcy court?


Is there some form that I can complete that will serve as a notification or is there specific information that should be on the document?

Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.

That's how I would do it. Though I don't know what the fee is currently.


As for forms, I believe that you can amend the petition via electronic filing. Check the court website.