How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 31687
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my husband filed and got a chapter 7 bankruptcy in Oklahoma.

This answer was rated:

my husband filed and got a chapter 7 bankruptcy in Oklahoma. I did not. At the time of the court date, he was told that when & if he got a tax return, it would have to be turned over to the court. We filed our taxes married filing separate and I've received my federal tax return - he has not received his yet. We can not get our lawyer to call us back and need to know whether or not I can keep my part of the federal tax return (since I did not file bankruptcy) or if MINE has to be turned over to the court as well as his. We need to know before April 15 so we know whether we can use some of my tax return to pay my part of the state taxes that I owe or not. I'm afraid I will not be able to get our lawyer to call us back before then (he is less than reliable). Thank you.
Oklahoma is not a community property state. Thus, you're not responsible for his debts. If you filed separately, your return is not subject to his creditors.
Roger and 4 other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you