How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Terry L. Your Own Question
Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 2901
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Terry L. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a court decision in my favor for Small Claims. I have

Resolved Question:

I have a court decision in my favor for Small Claims. I have had to file Garnishment papers to attempt to get the money owed. Now the individual has filed Chapter 7 Bankruptcy. Can the person have the judgement discharged through this process?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Terry L. replied 7 years ago.
Yes, a judgment for money is dischargeable in a chapter 7 bankruptcy. If the debt would fall under one of the exceptions to discharge, under 11 USC 523, you can file an adversary objection. Otherwise, if there are no assets, your claim is done, and you need to talk to your tax adviser about possibly writing off the debt as uncollectible for next years taxes. Good luck and thanks for your question. Sorry it isn't better news.
Terry L. and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you