Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.
15345323

We filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy last year and got discharged

We filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy last year and got discharged in November'09. We filed for a motion to re-open our case because we can no longer afford to make our mortgage payment. We did not reaffirm our mortgage.

Even after getting discharged we are still facing financial hardhsip due to unforseen circumstances. My husband injired himself and was off for months, now with the onset of his medical bills I am looking for employement to pay these debs.

In the event that I find employement in the next few months affect our case of being re-opened?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Terry L. replied 7 years ago.
Hi and thank you for your question. You indicated you got your discharge. Since you did not reaffirm the mortgage, the debt is discharged in the case. If you want to keep the home you can continue to pay and/or work out something with the lender, otherwise they will foreclose. I am not sure why you reopened the case. Is the case still re-opened? Generally, the snapshot the court takes is the date of filing the case, so any change of income later generally will not affect the case, unless it was known income when you filed the case originally.