Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy Law Questions? Ask a Bankruptcy Lawyer.

Bankruptcy Law

I am a year into my Chapter 13 Bankrupcy and took a hardship

Customer Question
withdrawl because of not keeping...
I am a year into my Chapter 13 Bankrupcy and took a hardship withdrawl because of not keeping up with my Mortgage-I know now this was not the right thing to do but had no options-Whats the worst thing that can happen?.Thanks you-Please help Me
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Bankruptcy Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/5/2010
Bankruptcy Lawyer: socrateaser, Attorney replied 7 years ago
socrateaser, Attorney

Nothing will happen. A 401(k) withdrawal is not income -- you are simply transferring some of your assets from one account to another. So, the bankruptcy trustee has no legal ground to move to modify the plan.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

socrateaser, Attorney
socrateaser, Attorney