How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 38911
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am trying resolve a property I own in Michigan1) Due to

This answer was rated:

1) Due to some financial problems my son ran into 5-6 Years ago I bought a house and allowed him to make the payments to me. I drew up a land contract to protect his interest. All payments are current and the equity in the house is approximately $40,000 at current market value. 2)My son and daughter in law are going through a divorce and due to him losing his job and other problems she has filed for bankrupcy. 3) She has a steady job and wants to keep the house she sent this "I had the initial Trustee's meeting on the bnkrptcy today. Since we didn't have the land contract in when the filing took place, they had not yet reviewed it. The person representing the Trustee did look it over. He expressed concern over it never being filed with the county (officially recognizing it as a secured debt) and the fact that it is with a family member" Is there any thing we can do to have the trustee honor the current payments

This is a really unusual circumstance. By not recording the contract, the debt was not perfected and is not secured by the property. However, a land contract does not require the creditor to transfer title until the contract is fullfiled, and therefore if the debtor does not pay, then the creditor remains the owner.


The contract, at this point, is executory (incomplete), and the trustee has the right to affirm or reject it. If the trustee affirms, then the trustee can sell the property to pay the debtor's creditors from the $40,000 equity. And, if the trustee affirms, then you get paid, because that's the only way that you're obligated to transfer title to the property to a new owner.


If the trustee rejects the debt, then the property is yours and you can do what you want with it.


You may want to line up a local bankruptcy lawyer who understands "executory" contracts in bankruptcy, because the unusual nature of this transaction could get gray and adversarial in a hurry.


My gut says that you wouldn't even want to file a proof of claim with the bankruptcy court, because that would give you the right to a jury trial, which increases your leverage, since jury trials are more expensive and time consuming. But, I admit that this is a very weird situation, and it deserves a lot of research before making any decsion on how to proceed.


For a bankruptcy attorney referral, see: and


Hope this helps.


Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

socrateaser and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Bankruptcy Law Questions