How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Terry L. Your Own Question
Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 2891
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Terry L. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

On what schedule (D or F) do you list Title Loans for a vehcile

This answer was rated:

On what schedule (D or F) do you list Title Loans for a vehcile? Is there any way to get rid of that loan (specific document), and keep your vehicle? It does not sound like a debt that needs to be reaffirmed?
Please completely answer the questions. I would be more than happy to give a bonus.
If the creditor is holding the title, they are a secured creditor and belong on schedule D of the bankruptcy petition. You cannot unfortunately get rid of the debt and keep the car. You can walk away from the car if you no longer want it, discharge the debt and go get something else, your second option is keep it as is, and pay the loan on the loan terms, finally, you can buy the car from the lender for the fair market value, and discharge the rest of the debt (if the car is worth less than the balance owed) this is called redemption. If you don't have the funds to do this, there are lenders available to do it, google 722 redemption and they will pop up. Thanks and good luck.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Terry thank you for your answer and it is very helpful, however if you can answer one more thing. To redeem at the market value, when the car is worth less than the loan... Does any motion or document need to be filed to get the lender to accept the market value and give back the title?

What fee is additional for this question, I will gladly pay.

Yes, the redemption is done by motion to the court, and the judge will issue an order for the payoff and a timeline to do it, and an order to then release the title back to you. Thanks.
Terry L. and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you