Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
9968427

I filied jointly with my husband for a chapter 7 bankruptcy

I filied jointly with my husband for a chapter 7 bankruptcy iand mortgage foreclosure in Colorado that was discharged in September 2006.

I currently live in Florida and we recently had twins and we are having difficulty making ends meet. Were stuck between we make too much money for goverment assistance but we dont make enough to pay all our bills. Our debts include two car loans, credit cards($13,500) and medical bills(2,400). I have tried working out a repayment plan with the credit card companies and medical providers but they wont budge. I'm currently behind on one credit card and will soon be behind on all credit cards and medical bills. My questions are: 1) when can I file for a chapter 7 or 13 bankruptcy? 2) What do I need to do to prepare for the filings and would I qualify? 3) If bankruptcy won't work for me what will happen if I just stopped paying the credit card companies and medical providers? Any advice is apprecitated. Thanks. Andrea
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 7 years ago.

A person can file Chapter 7 again if it has been more than 8 years since he or she filed the previous Chapter 7 bankruptcy or 6 years since the filing of a Chapter 13.

A debtor can refile a Chapter 13 at anytime.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

1) when can I file for a chapter 7 or 13 bankruptcy? 2) What do I need to do to prepare for the filings and would I qualify? 3) If bankruptcy won't work for me what will happen if I just stopped paying the credit card companies and medical providers? Any advice is apprecitated. Thanks. Andrea

Expert:  Ellen replied 7 years ago.
as per my prior answer, you can file for chapter 13 bankruptcy now or a chapter 7 bankruptcy in 2014. if you have a regular income you would qualify for Chapter 13. to prepare for the filings you would need to gather your bank statements for the last 6 months and prepare the forms

If you do not file bankruptcy and stopped paying on the debt, the creditors may obtain a judgment against you in use the judgment to execute upon your assets.