Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy law questions? Ask a bankruptcy lawyer.

I am going to be 60 in 2 weeks. I recently went out on 100%

Customer Question
SS Disability for mental health...
I am going to be 60 in 2 weeks. I recently went out on 100% SS Disability for mental health. I have a condo valued at about $175,000 and owe about $100,000. My car is paid off and I have about $15,000 in retirement. I owe about $32,000 in credit card debt due to the fact that I was trying to stay afloat. Now I am drowning. My disability check is $876 a month. I have been legally seperated from my husband for 6.5 years. He sends me about $1300, as agreed upon at our hearing. Am I eligible to file chapter 7 and does this affect my husband? I would appreciate any help you can give me. I am not working right now. My medical expenses are about $400 a month. I have a broken tooth, and can't even afford to have it fixed. I really am at the end of my rope as to what to do. Thank you, *****
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Bankruptcy Law
2/10/2010
Bankruptcy Lawyer: WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney replied 8 years ago
WALLSTREETESQ
WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney
because NH has a very high $100,000 homestead exemption, you can file a chapter 7 bankruptcy since your income is below the state median. Your IRA, CONDO AND DISABILITY will be protected also. Your husband will not be an issue unless your credit cards are in his name.