Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy Law Questions? Ask a Bankruptcy Lawyer.

Bankruptcy Law

For Florida residents If she has the proceeds of one to three

For Florida residents: If she...
For Florida residents: If she has the proceeds of one to three months Social Security and Veteran's benefits (from her deceased husbands service in WWII), is the bank account exempt from attachment? The money is paid periodically to cover part of her assisted living bills. The rest is paid by her children.
2/5/2010
Ellen, Attorney

Thank you for your question.

Social security and VA benefits are exempt from the claims of most creditors. It can only be garnished for child support or by the IRS
I understand that. My question is what happens to the bank account into which they are deposited.
the money retains its exempt status in the bank account
Ellen, Attorney
Ellen, Attorney