How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Terry L. Your Own Question
Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 2900
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Terry L. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i need assistance with regard to filing bankruptcy

Customer Question

i need assistance with regard to filing bankruptcy
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Terry L. replied 7 years ago.
Hi. I am an Illinois bankruptcy attorney. How can I help? What is your question.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am considering bankruptcy because I have too much debt and not enough income to even make arrangements to pay. I recently also recieved a summons to appear in court from one of my creditors who is suing me for the debt. I spoke to someone that said if I am considering filing chapter 7 that I dont need to apear in court. What should I DO?
Expert:  Terry L. replied 7 years ago.
You need to meet with a local bankruptcy attorney to represent you. (I'm in the Chicagoland area) The creditor can continue to sue until the case is filed, so you want to get filed as soon as possible to stop that case, otherwise they can garnish wages, seize bank accounts and other assets or even put a lien on real estate if you own. The chapter 7 will discharge consumer, unsecured debt, and is effective the date of filing. We always recommend going to the state court hearings unless your attorney advises you otherwise.