How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am actively in chapter 13. When I filed, I was behind on

Customer Question

I am actively in chapter 13. When I filed, I was behind on house payments. I converted the 2nd +3rd home equity loans to unscured debts, because the house is worth less than primary mortgage. Now I experienced loss of income due to back surgery. Can I convert to chapter 7 and still save the house?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

You can convert to a chapter 7 bankruptcy. However, in order to retain the house you must be up to date on payments or have the lender agree to a forbearance