Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.
15345323

I live in Los Angeles in an apartment. My lease is not up

I live in Los Angeles in an apartment. My lease is not up until June 2010. If I file bankruptcy can my landlord evict me if I can not pay my rent? I am really in a bad situation and asked the landlord to transfer me to a less expensive unit, they will not because Im in a lease right now. I've asked them to drop my rent to the going rate of my unit which is approx. 400 less and they said they can not. I can not pay my rent along with many other bills and am considering bankruptcy but wanted to know if they can still kick me out. I have two small children and a teenager and a husband who is out of work.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Terry L. replied 7 years ago.
Yes, if you don't pay rent, they can file for an eviction. Bankruptcy does not stop eviction - that is for possession only, they cannot collect on the debt, if it is included in the case though however. SO, you should be ready to be out of the house by the time you file. You are liable for rent if you are in the house after filing your case though, the landlord could collect that, since it was incurred post-BK. thanks for your question and good luck