socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)
10097515

The situation a california property, retail value about $530,000,

The situation: a california property, retail value about $530,000, first td about $350K, second about $225K. Owner is in Ch 13 bankruptcy. The first has foreclosed and was close to the sale date when bankruptcy was declared.
Question 1. I have heard that the second is considered unsecured for purposes of bankruptcy. Is this true?
2. would the bankruptcy trustee consider this property to have equity or not, given the above estimates?
3. if i could buy the property on a short sale of $400k, would the bankruptcy trustee be likely to allow it and remove it from the bankruptcy
4.My real thought is to buy the first from the noteholder at its face value, and continue the foreclosure,thus wiping out the second and getting the deed. My concern is that if I buy the note but cant get the property removed from bankruptcy I may wind up with a big headache and no profit. Is there any way under this scenario from getting the property out of the bankruptcy either before or after purchasing the note
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.

A: Yes, but only if (1) the 1st is worth more than fair market value (which on your facts is false); (2) the debtor files a motion with the bankruptcy court to have the 2nd declared unsecured, and (3) the debtor successfully completes the bankruptcy plan.

A: No.

A: Probably, if the secured creditors aproved the deal, and no unsecured creditor is prejudiced.

4.My real thought is to buy the first from the noteholder at its face value, and continue the foreclosure, thus wiping out the second and getting the deed.

A: That's legal, as longas you get an order lifting the automatic bankruptcy stay, which assumes that the debtor is not current on the 1st.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Regarding your answer to 4a: Under this buying the note option, on what basis would the bankruptcy court Ilift the automatic stay? the owner is not current on the first.

Not being current is all the court needs, unless the bankruptcy plan expressly permits the borrower to catch up the payments over the course of the plan, and the debtor is current on the plan -- then you're stuck unless the debtor can't pay according to the plan.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your help.
You're welcome and good luck.