Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy Law Questions? Ask a Bankruptcy Lawyer.

Bankruptcy Law

Hi, my question is I filed bankruptcy in MI. it was discharged

Hi, my question is: I...
Hi, my question is: I filed bankruptcy in MI. it was discharged in 10-2008, I bought a truck and my mortgage didn't show up on my credit report in 11-2009. I contacted my mortgage company and they said a letter of reaffirmation was never file with them, therefore they can't report my principal balance or payment history to credit reporting agencies. I was wondering with that being said, I'm I still responsible for my mortgage?

Thanks,

Paul
1/7/2010
socrateaser, Attorney

If you didn't sign an affirmation agreement while in bankruptcy, then your mortgage was discharged. This means that you are not "personally" liable for the debt, i.e., the lender can't sue you for a deficiency if you default on your payments. However, the lender can still foreclose on the property if you don't make your payments according to the original loan agreement.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

socrateaser, Attorney
socrateaser, Attorney