How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

someone i know owes me money. he has filed a no asset chapt.

Resolved Question:

someone i know owes me money. he has filed a no asset chapt. 7 bankruptcy case. do i need to file a proof of claim form in order to take this as a bad debt on my income tax, or is just the fact that he has gone bankrupt enough proof for the irs?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

The bankruptcy of the individual in a no asset Chapter 7 is sufficient proof for the IRS of the bad debt
Ellen and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you