How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 31733
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I sued an ex-girlfriend for money she owed me back in Dec.

Resolved Question:

I sued an ex-girlfriend for money she owed me back in Dec. 2000 and won a Stipulation for Judgment. She was to make regular payments to me until the debt is payed off. She filed bankruptcy in Sept. 2001. A hearing or OSC RE Dismissal/Sanctions is scheduled in court 1/19/10.
Do I need to attend this hearing, or is the case over due to the bankruptcy?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Roger replied 7 years ago.

If the debt/judgment was discharged in the bankruptcy, she's no longer obligated to pay you the debt. Thus, it would be no need for you to attend in that sense.


However, it is possible for her to reaffirm the debt by agreeing that she still owes it or that she will begin making payments, etc. Thus, if you could get her to reaffirm the debt, it would be worth showing up and trying to get something out of it.

Roger and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you