Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy Law Questions? Ask a Bankruptcy Lawyer.

Bankruptcy Law

Hello, I am in the midst of a divorce, my soon to be ex wife

Customer Question
as filed bankruptcy on her...
Hello, I am in the midst of a divorce, my soon to be ex wife as filed bankruptcy on her assets which include a SUV registered in my name only and both of our names are XXXXX XXXXX home mortgage.The SUV loan account in closed but current, she has stated she is going to "turn it in" to the bank.Is there anything I can do to keep this off my credit, I do not want or can afford the suv.I have placed a finiancial restraining order on her when she was served with divorce papers.She abanded the home on June 21 2009. Thanks
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Bankruptcy Law
1/4/2010
Bankruptcy Lawyer: socrateaser, Attorney replied 8 years ago
socrateaser, Attorney

If the SUV account is closed, then there's nothing to pay off, so it can't affect your credit. And, the bankruptcy can't be recorded on your credit report, unless you file bankruptcy. So, as long as the mortgage remains current, there would be nothing to negatively affect your credit.

At least, not so far.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

socrateaser, Attorney
Sry I fogot to mention that there is still money owed on the SUV. Yes the account is closed but is current in payments, she is still planning on turning it in.

I don't know what you mean by "turn it in," but it can't affect your credit unless her name is XXXXX XXXXX loan.

socrateaser, Attorney
Both of our names are XXXXX XXXXX loan, the SUV is registered in my name only.By "turning it in" I mean that her intent is to give it back to the bank, like a repo.

She can't give it back to the bank, as long as the payments are current, and without your signature on title.

She is planning on filing chapter 7, what happens if she quits making payments on it? She has aquired 10s of thousands of dollars in cc debt in her name only since she abanded me.
Not sure if u recieved my last question.

Nothing will happen as long as you don't stop making payments.

socrateaser, Attorney