How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been dicorced from my ex-wife from little over 2 years

Customer Question

I have been dicorced from my ex-wife from little over 2 years and she is now filing for bankruptcy. My name is XXXXX XXXXX some of the accounts from when we were married she is filing bankruptcy on. My question I alone going to responsible for those accounts after her bankruptcy goes through?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 7 years ago.

The creditors can file suit against you to collect a debt. You can file suit against your former spouse for reimbursement.

Here is why.

The divorce decree states the rights between the spouses as to which spouse will make the payments on the joint debt. However it does not affect the right of the creditor to collect from either spouse.

Section 523 of the Bankruptcy Code excepts from discharge both property settlements and support obligations.

You can read the Code here:

I hope that the information which I provided was helpful to you.

Best wishes for a successful outcome. If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to submit them to me directly.

Thank you,
Ellen and 3 other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you