socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)
10097515

IN CALIFORNIA, A CLERKS JUDGMENT FOR POSSESSION HAS BEEN ISSUED

IN CALIFORNIA, A CLERKS JUDGMENT FOR POSSESSION HAS BEEN ISSUED AND THE LOCK OUT HAS BEEN SCHEDULED (WRIT ISSUED), DOES A SUBSEQUENT FILING OF CHAPTER 7 STAY THE SCHEDULED LOCK OUT?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.

This is sort of an oddball issue. The bankruptcy courts in Califonria have held that once a writ of possession issues, the debtor's right to possession is terminated, therefore the bankruptcy petition has no effect. Nevertheless, the sheriff's office frequently will not evict, for fear of being held in contempt on some other technicality or defective legal process or pleading.

Frankly, it depends on the county sheriff, so you'll have to call them up and ask for their policy.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.