How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 38879
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Here is my question which is a refinement of what I asked you

Resolved Question:

Here is my question which is a refinement of what I asked you earlier today. My wife has money in an insurance trust which is protected against creditors. She and I are considering transferring a large amount of that trust to make substantial improvements on a house that is held in a QPRT (separate from the property to be foreclosed) and, we believe, not a result of a fraudulent conveyance.

The question is if we make this transfer from one trust to another, would it be considered a red flag or a fraudulent conveyance and thus seizable. If we do not transfer the funds and wait for the foreclosure issues to be settled, we risk losing the building permits which are difficult to secure.

Would you proceed with the building or wait?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.

If the trust is protected, then removing it does not make a fraudulent transfer, because you are not moving the money to "defraud, hinder or delay" any creditor, since the money is moving from one protected status to another.


I think this transaction is okay, but frankly, if there's a lot of dough involved, I would want to do some substantial research into the case law to determine if there were any "gotchas" here. Massachusset's homestead exemption, fyi, is $500,000 -- assuming that it mattered, which based on your stated facts, it apparently doesn't.


Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.


socrateaser and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
There would be about $700K moved from one trust to the other. The funds would be paid directly to the builder from the insurance trust and the improved property would be in the QPRT. Do you suggest I contact an attorney for further research, and if so, would that be a Massachusetts or Florida attorney, and would it be a bankruptcy attorney?