How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Mexico... In the United States I have bank accounts,

Customer Question

I live in Mexico... In the United States I have bank accounts, retirement ,social secuity and a residence where I receive mail...
I think that qualifies me to file for bankruptcy in the state of California.

I have credit card debt of 24,000 and medical bills for 14,000 I am making minimum payments on my cc and am about to be sued for the 14,000
Which I undertand will make my credit cards go from 9 to 25+ which will put me in a impossible position..

Our income in 3900 (2) and expense are 3900...
My questions are:
1. How can I find an attorney that will handle my case
2. Do my expense count, even though they are not in the usa
3. Can I be excused from appearing in the debtors meeting

thank you for you help
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

You must be legally residing in the US to file bankruptcy in the US. Therefore you will need to be residing at the location . you were receiving mail in order to use that address as your bankruptcy legal address. You must attend your 341 first meeting of creditors in person. Failure to appear that your 341 would be grounds to dismiss your bankruptcy petition.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

This is not true.. I just found a lawyer who does international filing...

Expert:  Ellen replied 7 years ago.
My answer is true and correct. There is no such thing as international bankruptcy.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
please check out and also Mark Marcus.. I did not mean they were international attorneys but they would handle usa filings from abroad.
Expert:  Ellen replied 7 years ago.
I will open your question to other experts
Customer: replied 7 years ago.